Yoga for women with a Body Positive approach.
Satyam Yoga Centre, off Chesterton Rd
Wednesdays 6- 7.15pm- Begins Sept 12th
5 class pass – £55 (conc- £40)
10 class pass – £90
Drop in – £13
Other unlimited monthly passes available- please check with Satyam directly for details
These passes are open to all standard classes at Satyam Yoga and Wellbeing Centre.
So often we focus on the ways in which we are not enough.
So often we focus on our bodies as a presentation of our self worth.
So often we mistake our bodies as the ultimate representation of who we are.
This yoga class provides a space in which to disentangle from these concepts and to simply experience our bodies as they are right now, in form and function, worthy of love.
I’ve began working with groups of women in yoga classes and in one to one support since 2012, and I really started noticing how it is almost universal amongst women to not like your body, or for our body to not be enough. I hear women talk badly about themselves constantly. Both explicitly, and subtly. I have been wanting to create a space to feel, connect and move our bodies with no purpose, other than to enjoy ourselves. To feel an appreciation for what our bodies can do, and how they can feel. To know ourselves better. To feel the comfortable and uncomfortable, and to move towards loving ourselves within the body we have right now, not the body we wished we had, or that we think we should have. When I talk bout ‘body love’, this isn’t necessarily about feeling awesome about every single aspect of our bodies. It’s more about learning to love the body we have, with all it’s complications, nuances, difficulties and idiosyncrasies. To accept with compassion and curiosity, the whole of ourselves in the present moment, so that we may stop worrying so much about what we look like, and live a big juicy creative life. As Anne Lamott says…
“Oh my God, what if you wake up some day, and you’re 65, or 75, and you never got your memoir or novel written, or you didn’t go swimming in those warm pools and oceans all those years because your thighs were jiggly and you had a nice big comfortable tummy; or you were just so strung out on perfectionism and people-pleasing that you forgot to have a big juicy creative life, of imagination and radical silliness and staring off into space like when you were a kid? It’s going to break your heart. Don’t let this happen.”
In this class
- all bodies are welcome and respected
- I do not talk about diets, weight loss or detoxing etc in the class. I ask the same of my students. For just 75mins every week, lets put those conversations aside. I am interested in focusing on changing our experiences of our bodies, rather than focusing on changing the shape of our bodies.
- we will work on strength, balance and range and ease of movement as well as breath work and meditative and mindful practices.
- we balance activity with rest. We end with a led relaxation of at least 15 minutes each week
- we work cooperatively and individually. This is not a space for competing or comparing. There are always options to work at your own level, whether you are new to yoga or have an established practice
- there is no requirement to come along already loving your body. You are welcome however you feel about your body.